Dubbed the “Tsarina of all Sarees,” the Kanjivaram sarees are made through the beauty of hand-crafted custom and curated through the contemporary lens to match the modern-day women in India.
Be it the simplest of households or affluent leaders, a diverse range of silk sarees are adorned by Indian women during various celebrations and functions.
Kanjivaram sarees are the most preferred garment of choice for all types of occasions. This saree is worn during events, which are the markers of growth and transition and the starting of a phase in human life.
Kanjivaram Sarees: Looking Back to Its Past
According to many experts, the Kanjivaram saree is closely connected with the “God of Weaver,” Saint Markanda. Apart from that, many people believe that they are his descendants.
Another history has pointed out that Krishna Deva Ray, a Chola King who ruled the Kanchipuram City from 985 to 1015, took the initiative of trading silk sarees. Actual weaving experts, the Saligars, and Devangas visited the city of Kanchipuram during the reign of Krishna Deva Raya to boost silk trading.
In today’s modern world, Kanjivaram Sarees are widely seen in South India and have become primary wear in all events, including weddings. These sarees are in high demand, and wearing a Kanjivaram saree that has a gold border is viewed as pride for Indian women.
The Various Types of Kanjivaram Sarees
You will come across many types of beautiful and elegant Kanjivaram sarees. The things that make them different from each other are the yarn used, the border style, the weaving style, and many more.
- Plain Kanjivaram with Gold Border: You might think that “plain” means “simple, right? Well, that’s not it. In this type of Kanjivaram saree, real gold is used at the borders to give it a rich look. It will make the wearer stand out and enhance their appearance perfectly.
- Traditional Kanjivaram Sarees: These sarees are the actual type of Kanjivaram sarees, which are mostly worn during weddings. Here, the primary theme of these types of sarees is “checked motifs,” “chakras,” and “coins.” These themes are known to epitomize the practice.
- The Modern Kanjivaram Sarees: These lightweight Kanjivaram sarees are made with new shades, updated trends, stylish motifs, and additional and special border designs. These sarees are perfect for a modern-day bride.
- Kanjivaram Sarees with Floral Weave: These types of sarees are made with the flower theme, which is the main part of the saree. These sarees come with a gold border, which enhances their appearance.
- Kanjivaram Sarees with Temple Weave: These sarees come with a “Gopuram” or the temple design and carry the zigzag design at the borders.
What Makes Kanjivaram Sarees So Different?
Kanjivaram sarees are a lot different from other regular and silk sarees. The silk, which is used for making these sarees are expensive and not used in regular sarees. When people get to see the silk for the first time, they become pretty amazed as it’s a type of silk they have never encountered before.
But you will find many regions selling Kanjivaram sarees, but that doesn’t mean all of them are selling the actual ones. You need to get the saree from the right place so that you don’t end up purchasing a low-quality product.
Make sure that you do proper research before you think of purchasing a Kanjivaram saree. Remember, these sarees are an investment, so you have to spend your money wisely when you are planning to get one.
Kanjivaram sarees carry a reputation for being the best garment for all types of occasions. Whether it’s a birthday, a wedding, a reception, or a family get-together, Kanjivaram sarees will surely make you stand out among others. They are beautiful, unique, made from high-quality silk, and come in many designs and shades.