LPG is the most vital and dangerous part of cooking requirements and is almost used in all commercial and household places. It is therefore essential to ensure that you use gas cylinders with care. To help you with this task, in the article, we have described some safety tips and precautions for using LPG gas cylinders.
What is LPG?
LPG known as Liquefied petroleum gas, is an odourless, colourless, highly flammable liquid that readily dissolves into a gas.
LPG, be it butane or propane, is typically stored and distributed in liquid form and is widely used for process and space heating, cooking and automotive impulse.
LPG Gas Cylinder Precautions To Consider
1. Proper storage
Keep the LPG gas cylinder in a place with no heat sources and electrical outlets; means you must protect it from external heat sources such as direct sunlight. In addition, it is always a good idea to have only the number of LPG cylinders as needed, never to store too many of them in your home.
However, the best place to store the gas cylinder is in a dry and secure place, preferably in a well-ventilated area of your home.
Sometimes you have to carry the gas cylinder from one place to another. In such situations, always transport your LPG cylinder in an upright position. Also, check that you have installed all caps and lids before transporting the bottle. It will also prevent dirt from accumulating in the cylinder plug.
3. Regular Maintenance
Always check the tubes and regulators that are used with the cylinders. They are subject to many leaks. In such cases, check for gas leaks by applying a soapy solution to the seals of the bottles, pipes and valves. The appearance of soap bubbles will indicate a leak point.
Therefore, periodical maintenance is great. Also, try to replace worn tubes as soon as possible. You can ask for help from the LPG gas bottle supplier rather than maintaining the cylinders yourself.
Keep the gas cylinder upright and check they are secured, and prevent them from falling. Make sure cylinders must not be rolled, dropped, or pulled, especially from height. When a gas cylinder is brought in, ensure the correct one is brought for the intended use.
Make sure when you bring in the LPG gas cylinder and start to install, turn off the stove, close all taps/knobs, close the empty bottle tap. Grasp the regulator and pull out the plastic sleeve. Then lift the regulator with a slight twist without using excessive force. Carefully place the new gas cylinder in an upright position. Now place the regulator vertically down and secure it without using excessive force.
LPG Safety Tips
Prevention is always better than cure. So, it is important to follow safety measures while using an LPG gas bottle. Below we have listed some valuable tips, and by adopting these effective safety measures, you can surely avoid accidents.
- Check if there are any cracks or if the pipe is not damaged from anywhere.
- Make sure the regulator knob is in the off position when the cylinder is not in use.
- Do not throw filled LPG bottles from a height. Instead, make sure you handle them with care.
- Avoid using synthetic things in the kitchen.
- Do not allow children or untrained persons to touch gas appliances.
- It would be best if you did not use aerosols near gas appliances.
- Let your supplier examine it when filling the cylinder and buy from the genuine LPG gas bottle supplier. Avoid buying them on the black market.
- Evade expeditious, in-home improvements for LPG cylinders.
- Never place your LPG gas cylinder in a horizontal position, as this can cause an immediate explosion.
- Safety valves and other accessories of gas appliances must not be forced to open or close the gas control knobs.
- Never try to transfer LPG liquid yourself from one bottle to another; it could cause leaks.
- You should regularly clean your oven and hotplates to ensure no buildup of nasty fat or burnt food as it could be flammable.
LPG gas cylinders make cooking quick and easy, but be sure to use them with care as they are highly flammable and could cause an explosion destroying your home or potentially causing serious injury to you and your family members.
However, it is crucial to follow the instructions and teach your children about LPG gas, precautions and what not to do in an emergency. So, do not be afraid when using LPG gas cylinders because you can avoid damage with proper maintenance and guidance.
Homeowners don’t need to worry about the risks of LPG, but they need to follow caution while using it. You can also follow the helpful tips above and protect your home and family from unexpected dangers of the LPG.