A Tibetan Mastiff is one of the most unique breeds of dogs available in the world. They originated in the Tibet and China, are fearless and courageous and can protect your home and family. Although they are large enough for protection, they are not as gentle as many other large breeds, so there are a few things you may want to cinsider before you adopt or buy a Tibetan dog.
Things To Consider When Buying A Tibetan Dog
- a) Don’t buy a puppy from a puppy mill. Instead, seek out a reputable rescue or breeder to get a pet that will fit your lifestyle and has appropritate certification.
- b) Research the breed’s history. As you can read at com, Tibetan dogs are among the most expensive breeds in the world. In 2005, a Chinese businessman paid nearly $2 million for a one-year-old golden-maned puppy. A 95% pure-breed can cost between $2000 and $6000, while a 99% pure-breed can cost anywhere from $7000 up to $10,000.
The breed’s high price made it a status symbol in China, and it remains popular amonng the wealthy. Despite their popularity as a rare luxury dog, they are still a working breed, and as such, is highly skilled at guarding his territory from intruders.
- c) When purchasing from a shelter, screen the puppy. You should be able to meet the puppies in a comfortable setting and play with them. Take the time to get to know your new pet before making a decision. Though the dog may be stubborn, it will make a wonderful companion if well trained.
- d) Healthy dog foods and supplies must be bought. A Tibetan Mastiff requires a variety of products including toys, bowls and collars, beds, shampoo, and even sanitary equipment. These supplies can cost from $200 to $1000 per year (if not more). Additionally, you will need to purchase veterinary services during the first year, and you might even choose to opt in for dog insurance.
- e) A Tibetan Dog puppy costs $1500 to $5,000. Again, it is an expensive breed and can be difficult to find in the United States. If you live in a secluded environment and want something unique and extraordinary, this dog may be a great choice. A TM that is socialized and trained will be a great addition to your family. It really is necessary to spend extra time and effort on proper socialization, since this breed can otherwise become destructive to people and other animals.
If you managed to train your pup, it will likely be a loyal and intelligent breed of dog. As you probably understand by now, it requires more care than other breeds. It will need to be groomed regularly (once a week) and often needs exercise (one hour a day).