The air that we breathe in, the water we drink, the food we consume, & the sun rays that reach us, are all gifts of nature, and thus it becomes extremely essential to value the environment.
But, with time, we tend to forget the importance of trees & plants. Don’t we? Therefore, to spread awareness & raise a voice for saving nature, World Environment Day is celebrated.
With the world fighting the pandemic, one of the best ways to celebrate the day is by sharing world environment day slogans with friends & family. World Environment Day is celebrated on June 5 every year across the globe.
The day is celebrated & recognized to mark the importance of nature, read the signs, and act accordingly. With the industries shut down & people locked inside their homes, nature has been impacted so positively! That’s the real power of nature.
And as educated civilized citizens, it should be our responsibility to protect & preserve it always. What better way to start now, but before that, let’s understand World’ Environment Day’s Date, Theme, History, Significance, & a few unknown facts, first!
The World Environment Day’s theme for the year 2021 is ‘Ecosystem Restoration’ witnessing the launch of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
This can happen in many different forms such as growing trees, greening cities, changing diets, cleaning up rivers & coasts, rewilding gardens.
Ecosystem restoration means promoting the recovery of our ecosystem that has been destroyed & degraded, along with the conservation of the ecosystem that is still intact.
- In 1972, the United Nations General Assembly established the World Environment Day after discussions on the integration of human interactions & the environment during the initial day of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. Even though Environment Day celebrations have been held annually since 1974, in 1987 the idea of rotating the center of these activities so that different countries can host it.
- As per the United Nations, “The celebration of this day provides us with an opportunity to broaden the basis for an enlightened opinion and responsible conduct by individuals, enterprises, and communities in preserving and enhancing the environment.”
- When we see the pollution levels rising, don’t we remember the forest cutting that takes place? Or the environment getting exploited on an everyday basis? Well, we do notice everything, but either fail to take a step or raise a voice. And as always, human beings tend to take things for granted! Thus, to raise global awareness & knowledge about a healthy environment, World Environment Day is celebrated.
- As per World’s Environment website, as many as one million plant and animal species are at a huge risk of extinction. And here, the idea is to understand that young people have an important role to play in preventing the loss of biodiversity and preserving nature for our future.
- This day raises great awareness about environmental issues such as marine pollution, global warming, human over-population, protection of wildlife, & sustainable consumption. WED has become a global huge platform for countries to reach out to the public!
- The demonstrations on World Environment Day also help to signal to the representatives of government how important action on environmental issues has to be taken.
Interesting Facts That You Might Want To know:
World Environment Day is celebrated when we pay tribute to the environment by pledging to take care of the environment by raising awareness and a strong voice. To learn about this important day, let’s learn a few interesting facts you need to know about this day!
- World Environment Day has its anthem. The anthem is known as the ‘Earth Anthem.’ This anthem was composed by Abbay K in 2013 made up of 8 different languages which unite different communities from different parts of the world.
- Over 10 countries around the globe are involved in public outreach campaigns of the World Environment Day.
- There is no particular way of celebrating World Environment Day. Every country has its way of celebrating such as parades, outreach programs, concerts, street rallies, etc.
- Around 27,000 trees are cut down each day to supply the growing demand for toilet paper.
- The UN reported that by 2050, humankind would require three planets to sustain itself with the current rate of population growth and consumption.
- The different colors of nature depict softer shades of green, brown, or blue, which are mainly used in their promotional activities of the event.
- Every year, the emphasis on World Environment Day is placed on a certain topic of crisis. And the name of the topic is usually decided by vote around March 1.
World Environment Day 2021: Raise Your Voice & Spread The Word:
The whole idea of World Environment Day is to create a beautiful planet & a world free of pollution. And this can only happen when we start to take initiatives, raise our voice, spread awareness and do our little bit to bring a change! Let the pandemic not hinder our roles and responsibilities instead try making this place a better place by learning more about the day & taking some action in real life. Together we can do good for our environment!