Data is your most valuable asset irrespective of the size of your company, whether digital or not. It is a most vital aspect to store data securely alongside maintaining the data integrity. Multiple surveys around the globe and research studies show the increasing number of data backups and recovery service requests to deal with lost data.
You might not initially require cloud storage services to store data, but backup should be your priority from the very start. You may use cloud based storage or external hard drive to store your data; backup of data is a must and should be taken into consideration even before you start storing your data.
Cyber attacks, malware, viruses- all these will lead to data being stolen, lost, or shared illegally. Data protection and Data recovery to avoid such unwanted scenarios or situations to happen is also important for any company or organization. The recovery service analysts will help secure the vital files and folders containing information of your clients, employees, business partners, and other sensitive data.
Be aware of misconceptions such as- only big organizations are prone to cyber attacks or hacking, only cloud storage can lead to data loss. Such myths will only lead to your data being stolen by some unidentified individual and risk your client’s, employee’s confidential details which may further lead to any unwanted situations.
Backuping data in an external device does not guarantee its protection from cyber criminals or any malware attacks.
Data losses are not the same. There are various types of data loss in any industry.
Types of scenarios that leads to data loss
- Hardware failure
- Software Error
- Human error
- Logical errors
- Natural disasters- flood, earthquake
- Disk failure
- Volume reformat
- Failure rebuilding of RAID
- Error during data transfer
- File system corruption
- Deletion or overwrite of files
- Socket or file I/O error
- Error during transfer due to vanished file source
- Timeout during transfer
- Error allocating memory buffer
- Corrupted file or folder
- Mechanical error- unable to communicate with the hard drive
- Power outage leading to drive failure
What can we do to prevent further data loss when failure occurs?
- When you see a failure, do not refresh, restart or do any operation in your device. A simple error can cause mass and irreversible damage.
- Do not attempt the DIY tricks you see on the internet; such methods to repair might reduce the probability of your data being recovered.
To save your data from being stolen or mishandled, you can take help of the data specialist in storing your data as well as help you recover lost data. Below given are few tips to help you choose your perfect data recovery provider:
- Search on the internet for the data recovery agency. Do not stick to one; run through multiple options to compare their service.
- Observe the type of data they recover, is it from all kinds of devices, or laptop, mobile phones, USB, storage system, etc.
- All data service providers are not experienced. Review their ratings and customer reviews. Talk with your friends or colleagues to get an idea.
- Reserve the last option to finally decide on an agency, only when you have spoken to them. Any legitimate data service provider will not jump to pricing or billing unless provided with adequate information.
In business, there is one thing for sure- Failure at any point of time is inevitable. What you can do is- Be prepared to face situations. Computer being a mechanical appliance, is prone to failure for all kinds of reasons. Your biggest priority should be countering data loss.
Irrespective of your company type- data is common to all. Data recovery service might be required due to any reason – technical failure, virus, natural disaster, etc. Choosing redundant data recovery services is vital. Redundancy itself means minimization of the business interruptions, and ensuring smooth operation in any kind of situation. Data recovery service should be chosen which comprises application support, online backup monitoring service, server configurations.
The critical daa has to be backed up regularly. Retrieval of data from backup ensures the safety of your data in event of data loss. Relying on internet connection is a one way road; you have to be prepared to restore the lost data offline. Multiple vault facilities are available to store local data.
Logical failures that lead to data loss can be due to –
- Accidental deletion of data
- Drive formatting
- Volume deletion
- Drive corruption
- Boot failure
- Reinstallation of the operating system
Physical failure leading to data loss are-
- Storage space issue
- Connectivity issue
- Component damage
- Electronic equipment failure
The data lost is recovered from multiple areas- Internal storage drive, external hard disk or external hard drive, solid-state drives, USB flash drives, CD, DVD, BD, memory cards- SD, SDHC, etc. Restoring the deleted files is easy, you only delete the data location, wherein the data can be easily stored from the recycle bin to its original location.
The data recovery service varies depending on the type and cause of failure. There are phases of data recovery-
- Repair of hard drive or disks
- Copying the drives to new drives or disks
- Logical recovery of the files, partition, file system structures
- Repairing of the damaged files
Operating speed of a computer increases during deletion or formatting of data. This means- the operating system deletes the references of the existing file systems instead of permanently deleting the files; in short the files get overwritten. Similarly, during a data deletion in drive; the data is not deleted or removed, instead the data resides in an inaccessible state wherein this data is ready to be overwritten by any other data.
Data recovery helps you recover the data loss due to any reason. Although, data recovery is not easy. It grows complex as day passes by. Prevention is better than cure. Backup of data should be prioritized along with data security and protection of data. Data recovery service providers use professional and specialized tools to recover from data loss.